Monday, March 9, 2009

15 Albums That Changed My Life

I didn't get into music until high school. I didn't REALLY get into music until college. Now it's my lifeblood and it seems like I'm always listening to something, either at work, home, in the car, at the gym, while studying. I'm a little obsessed with finding new music and am always looking for new recommendations.

Apparently there's a meme going around Facebook about the 15 albums that changed your life. No one that I know has done this yet and I've sworn off those stupid memes so I've decided to turn it into a blog post. These are in no particular order. Enjoy!

Counting Crows - August and Everything After
REM - Automatic For The People
Madonna - Ray of Light
Pete Yorn - Musicforthemorningafter
Duncan Sheik - Duncan Sheik
David Gray - White Ladder
The Killers - Hot Fuss
Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head
The Good Will Hunting Soundtrack
Dave Matthews Band - Under the Table and Dreaming
Rufus Wainwright - Poses
Chris Isaak - Forever Blue
U2 - Achtung Baby
Robbie Williams - The Ego Has Landed
Ryan Adams - Gold

Just finished this list and realized there are a surprising number of male artists (bands) that have been influential to me. I'll have to give that some thought...

3 comments:

  1. Nice list. My fifteen, in no order, trying to limit it to one per artist, and going after most influential, not necessarily favorites:

    Pearl Jam - Ten
    Poor Old Lu - Sin
    Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
    Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
    U2 - Joshua Tree
    REM - Out of Time
    Elliott Smith - XO
    Radiohead - OK Computer
    Counting Crows - August and Everything After
    Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA
    Peter Gabriel - Us
    Stavesacre - Speakeasy
    Uakti (Philip Glass) - Aguas da Amazonia
    The Thin Red Line Soundtrack
    Brian Eno - Apollo Atmospheres and Soundtracks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the addition. It's funny how you and I are varied a bit in our choices. Unfortunately I didn't have any room for my favorite Mariah Carey albums...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about the variations. I think Automatic is a better album by REM, but I fell in love with them with Out of Time. I was sold from the first time I heard "Losing My Religion" or "Shiny, Happy People." It took a while for Automatic to grow on me. And choosing between Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby is like choosing between two types of chocolate cake. I notice my list has a bit more rock on it, but my teenage years, when I love music the most, were very loud.

    ReplyDelete